Monday, May 19, 2008

For May 25, 2008

Scriptures:
Hebrew Bible:
Isaiah 49:8-16a
Psalm:
Psalm 131
Epistle:
1 Corinthians 4:1-5
New Testament:
Matthew 6:24-34
Sunday Bulletin Service Theme: Seeking God's Way
Our theme will emphasize God's care for us throughout life's journey. We have a baptism, we will honor our high school and college graduates, and we will dedicate our memorial garden. So naturally, one of hymns will be "I was there to hear your borning cry."

I was there to hear your borning cry
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold.
#351 New Century Hymnal


Other hymn selections for the day are #423 "Great Is Your Faithfulness," #323 "Little Children Welcome" (for the baptism), and #438 "When Peace Like a River."

When peace, like a river, upholds me each day,
when sorrows like sea billows roll,
whatever my lot, you have taught me to say,
"It is well, it is well with my soul."


The scriptures speak of God's mercy and tender care. "Can a woman forget her nursing child?" Isaiah asks. Even if your mother forgets you, God will not forget you. "I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother," reads the psalm. "Do not worry about your life," Jesus says in the gospel. God takes care of the birds. Don't you think you are worth at least as much as the birds to God?

Some people may hear the old hymn "God's eye in on the sparrow" when they read that gospel message. I hear Bobby McFarren singing, "Don't worry. Be happy (Don't worry be happy now...doo, doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo...)." Is anyone on deck for "special music?"

At the end of the service, we will process out to the memorial garden (on the south lawn) to consecrate and dedicate it as a place set apart to receive cremated remains and memorials to those who go before us into glory. "I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice." Thanks be to God.

No comments: