Tuesday, December 23, 2008

For December 28, 2008

Scriptures:
Isaiah 61:10 - 62:3
Psalm 148
Galatians 4:4-7
Luke 2:22-40

The Scriptures appointed for the Pastor's birthday (subtile, eh?) sing of hope for the future. Isaiah promises that the nation which has suffered humiliation will be vindicated. The psalm echoes the praise of all creation. In the letter to the churches of Galatia, Paul interprets the meaning of Christ's coming: that we may all be children of God and heirs of God's covenant with the people Israel. And on the Sunday after Christmas, we read of Simeon and Anna, the old dears of the temple, rejoicing in the presentation of the baby Jesus.
You know, since most of my family have passed on, their presence is more dear, and more real to me then when they were living. And as my birthday approaches, I remember what my dad told me about the day I was born. He said he was in that hospital waiting room for hours, while day turned to night and day again and night again, knowing that something was very wrong. He prayed that he would not lose both his wife and baby. He believed a miracle happened that night, and I was his miracle child. He told me this when I was a depressed teenager, wondering what was the point of living. The fact that I lived was meaning enough for dad. Why would God have rescued me then if my life was meaningless? It was a simple faith, but strong enough to get us both through my teen years and his mid-life.
I offer this story as a companion piece for the Christmas stories, which do not have to be literally accurate to be true. Meaning is ascribed to a birth story in order to give hope for the future. Jesus was born. Like all babies, he was vulnerable, fragile; but he lived! And his life means something. Vindication for those who trust in God. Home for the spiritually homeless. Adoption as heirs for those who were orphaned. Wherever we are on our faith journey, it is sometimes enough to know that there is meaning to this life, and promise for a future.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Thanks for sharing your story...

Happy pre-Birthday!!!!!!!!!!