Tuesday, January 6, 2009

For January 11, 2009

We are never aware, in the moment, that it is a beginning of something. At the time, it's just another ordinary day. It only becomes a "defining moment" in retrospect.

This Could Be the Start of Something Big. This, right here, now. Me writing and you reading. If indeed, "defining moments" are identified only in retrospect, then any given moment could be the start of something, and years from now we could be saying, "it all started when...."
This Could Be the Start of Something... or not. This could be the start of nothing at all, like the first episode of the TV show about nothing (now, that was something).
The Church retreat which begins in 10 days Could Be the Start of Something. Reading "Unbinding the Gospel: Real Life Evangelism," I find myself warming up to the start of something big. I know that what Martha Grace Reese presents in the book is a good, hearty meal, and I am eating it up. It's so good I want to share the recipe with friends, I want to cook some up and serve it at the retreat so I can enjoy it with others.
But, I also know that this dish of "Real Life Evangelism" might not be to others liking. I'm reminded of my friend Fay Ann's daughter Paula, who, at age 4, was very excited about the dessert we brought to a little dinner party at her parent's house. "Cappuccino Cheesecake." She bounced off the walls, singing out, "Cappuccino Cheesecake!"
When it was finally served with a dollup of whipped cream and a chocolate covered espresso bean, Paula trembled with pleasure. Then she tasted it. I'll never forget the how her face fell, when she said, "I thought this was going to be good."
It was good, it was really really good, to us grown-ups, but it was not what Paula expected.
So, this weekend retreat on January 16-17 Could Be the Start of Something Big. Or not, it could just be another Cappuccino Cheesecake Incident.

Here's the scriptural connection: Consider the disciples Paul met in Ephesus (Acts 19:1-7). They were disciples (students, followers), and yet, they were missing something. These disciples were thoroughly unaware that there was something that they were missing, but Paul, apparently, could tell there was something lacking in their discipleship.
The Holy Spirit. What's that? It's something you experience. About twelve of them caught the Holy Spirit experience that day.
But there's more to the story. It started with twelve and grew from there, exponentially, so that, after two years, "all the residents of Asia" heard the word of the Lord (Acts 19:10).
I think we might be missing something. Something of that old spark. When even a small group of disciples kindles the flame of the Holy Spirit, it is bound to catch on.
I hope we can get a fire going.

No comments: