Tuesday, April 22, 2008

For Sunday, April 27

Scriptures:
Acts 17:22-31 -- Paul in Athens: "I see how very religious you are...."
Psalm 66:8-20 -- God has kept us among the living.
1 Peter 3:13-22 -- Do the right thing, even if you suffer for it, keep your conscience clear.
John 14:15-21 -- Jesus: "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." A continuation of his farewell sermon.

Sunday Bulletin Service theme: "Spirited Love"

Working Title: "Imagine Love"
Several weeks ago I planned out a whole series of sermons with titles that began with the word "imagine." I had the John Lennon song stuck in my head, I couldn't help myself. Now the Walrus sings again, as I read the gospel lesson of the day. Check it out: "you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you." I am you and you are me and we are he and we are all together.
A first title does not necessarily make it to the printed bulletin. Glancing at the chapter and verse numbers (and the bulletin theme), I was sure that the gospel lesson for this week would include: "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." But that doesn't come until the 15th chapter.
No, now I'm more inclined to focus in on Paul in Athens, who toured the city and couldn't help but notice so many public displays of religious devotion. They even had a monument to "an unknown God," presumably, to protect themselves in case they left anygod out.
I'm reminded of the time one of our foreign exchange students asked us, "Why all the flags?" I couldn't think how to answer. So I asked her about her own country. Flags are displayed from government buildings, and on certain holidays, but not in front of stores and restaurants and car dealerships and gas stations and up and down streets all year long.
I'm also reminded of an old saw I once heard: "The guiltiest bride has the whitest veil"
Jesus was not impressed with public displays of religious devotion. Beware of practicing your piety before others to impress them. Better to pray in the closet.
And as I read the epistle from Peter, I am reminded of the training in non-violent resistance which the Rev. Dr King preached and the civil rights demonstrators practiced, suffering beatings and prison and being ready to die rather than fight violence with violence.
There is a lot of rich scriptural food on the menu for Sunday.

1 comment:

Chris said...

What a great post, and fantastic use of a blog! I really appreciate you sharing your background thinking about the sermon and songs. I hope people use the blog. It's a really cool way of "prepping" to hear your thoughts.

Plus, I like the mellow colors...

:)